Friday 12 February 2016

Map UI

This was something that I hadn't planned on doing, but after playing around one night on unity, I discovered I could create a cool looking progress bar type UI for the player. At first, I had it show the entire map, all obstacles, collectables and traps. But the group saw it as a little to big and messy, I too felt it looked a bit crowded, but I did not want to get rid of it entirely. I decided to create just a simple version, with a dragon icon and a nest to symbolize the player and the end zone. The group found it to be a lot better, and it didn't reveal the map, giving the player a little bit of surprise when exploring. To do, it took a little experimenting as I couldn't find any online help so I was left to myself. I found out that adding an additional camera that was far back, and setting it to only see 2 objects, the nest and the head, I then created 2 giant objects, as seen in the bottom image, that greatly out scale the rest of the map. I used a similar code that is used on the camera, and attached it to the dragon head. This let it follow the player, and gave me complete control over what the player can and cant see. I set the main game camera to not be able to see these layers. Giving the effect that a map ui is on screen when in reality it is just a camera showing 2 unseen objects that follow the layer.




No comments:

Post a Comment